Middleton Group is an Australian owned and operated consultancy, with a team of engineers and project managers, who thrive on solving complex power and energy challenges through innovation, collaboration and engineering excellence. We specialise in all the major engineering market segments including transportation, sustainable energy, industrial and power utilities. Our services include:
- Strategy and planning
- Design and engineering
- Project management and delivery
- Operations and maintenance
We believe it is our responsibility to create a sustainable energy future for our communities. We understand that it is incumbent upon every individual within our organisation to help our local industry partners and communities to move toward sustainable power usage and renewable energy.
At Middleton Group, we aim to develop future leaders for the industry in a collaborative environment and strive to create an exceptional place to work for our people. Working with us, you will benefit from:
- Varied and challenging work
- Ongoing training and development
- Leadership opportunities
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Supportive and nurturing working policies
About this opportunity
We are looking for a senior power systems engineer to assist with developing Middleton Group’s grid connection team. The senior power systems engineer is responsible for technical leadership of generator and grid connection projects including power systems modelling studies and analysis for new solar farm, wind farm, BESS and hybrid generator connections throughout Australia, using tools such as PSS®E, PSCAD and DIgSILENT PowerFactory.
- Proven track record of successful grid connections (R0, R1 and R2) within Australia with diverse generation technologies.
- Power system analysis for utility-scale networks including steady state and dynamic system studies.
- Experienced working with DigSILENT PowerFactory, PSCAD, PSS/E, and the ability to guide and mentor younger team members.
- Thorough understanding of the generator connection process in Australia (Chapter 5 and 5A) and the obligations of each party (NSPs, AEMO, Proponent etc).
- Knowledgeable in one or more generator technologies such as synchronous (steam, hydro, gas etc) or asynchronous (solar PV, wind, BESS etc).
Technical Depth & Breadth:
- Consistently demonstrates extremely high levels of technical knowledge along with ingenuity and creativity in developing design and project solutions.
- Develops and applies advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts in electrical and control systems engineering.
- Broad knowledge about the design and operation of systems outside of their specialty.
- Recognized for their technical ability within the professional community of their area of expertise.
- Possess a working knowledge of control and instrumentation equipment and systems used in process industries.
Guidance / Initiative:
- Self -supervising within guidance and expectations of team and project management.
- Provides guidance to several groups within the organization.
- Acts independently at the organizational level with outcomes reviewed by team/project lead.
- Exercises independent initiative and judgment in setting and implementing goals.
Communication / Interpersonal Skills:
- Experienced in discussing and negotiating access standards with NSPs and AEMO, including creating concise and convincing reports and technical memos to provide justification.
- Take the lead in difficult conversations with project stakeholders through to resolution.
- Able to effectively train people outside their direct team or project group.
- Able to write convincing proposals and reports with all necessary backup material for external consumption.
- Managing Director
- Director – Sustainable Growth
- Technical Directors
- Practice Area Lead
- Job Directors
Benefits of working with us
- Grow your career under the guidance and support of ‘best in industry’ technical experts
- Enjoy the freedom to develop and create solutions to tomorrow’s challenges
- Be exposed to varied and challenging work
- Work with a great team who are all committed to the same goals as you
- Enjoy working within our modern office environment (post COVID-19 restrictions)
- Access broader industry expertise where required through our extensive professional networks, sub-consultants and partners
- Enjoy direct day-to-day interaction with our clients and partners
- Enjoy flexible and family-friendly working arrangements
- Flexible working locations (Offices in Melbourne and Sydney) (post COVID-19 restrictions)
- Professional annual memberships paid for (i.e. CPEng, EA, EESA)
- Competitive Remuneration Package
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Hold a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (BEng)
- Have at least 7 years of relevant industry experience
- Be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident
- Show proficiency level for technical tasks associated with relevant practice area
- Be able to effectively train people outside his/her workgroup
- Be able to give effective presentations to critical/high-level customers and effectively represent workgroup on review panels and cross-organizational teams
- Can write convincing proposals and reports with all necessary backup material for external consumption
- Target utilisation average is 80%+